The Impact of the Annual Fund - Spotlight on Emily Allen

How does staff Professional Development benefit our children and us as parents?

Let’s take Emily Allen, Abintra’s Office and Communications Manager, for instance. Many of you have probably seen Emily walking around with a camera in hand capturing our children doing their work, engaging, and having fun.  Or how about the personal pictures of our kids emailed directly to us or the postings on Facebook and the website? All of these photos are glimpses into our children’s day-to-day experiences at Abintra.  How nice is it to have that visual connection as a parent?  So, when a spark of passion turned into a serious interest that would also benefit Abintra, the Annual Fund made it possible to send Emily to Vanderbilt’s Sarratt Studio to study photography.  Not only do we benefit as parents, but she now shares that educational experience with students who show interest in photography. The Annual Fund also provided funds to purchase a professional camera and lens, which Emily uses to take all “formal” school pictures. We’re able to benefit by having someone who knows our kids and is great at capturing them in their element.  Here are a few words from Emily on this topic:

“My photography role at Abintra began with me taking iPhone photos and posting them to Facebook.  When I started intentionally taking photos, I realized that I was really drawn to the art form – especially when it allowed me to capture my love of Abintra and display it to the outside community.  I signed up for a beginner’s photography class at the Sarratt Studio at Vanderbilt for professional development, and the pure excitement I felt when I had a camera in my hand confirmed that I had found “it” – that passion that doesn’t feel like work.

Photo by UE photography student Lillie
During my time at Abintra, I’ve been able to hone in on developing my photography skills by capturing images for social media, the website, advertisements, and my favorite – school photos for the yearbook.  I appreciate the fact that my relationship with the students allow me to represent our community in its truest state.  To me, finding my love of photography through working at Abintra has been my own Montessori experience.  I am so grateful that I get to do work that I thoroughly enjoy in a way that benefits the school and the community.



The biggest impact I’ve noticed on the community is that parents feel more connected to the school when they are sent photos of their children at work.  Just a simple photo of their child smiling and engaged will make a parent’s day – especially if that parent is new to Abintra and their child is very young.  This small gesture can put a parent immediately at ease.



I also enjoy teaching upper school students photography after school.  I’ve noticed quiet students find their voice with a camera in their hands, distracted students gain focus through being aware of their surroundings, and very different students connecting through a shared interest.

Photo by photography student Lillie

Photo by photography student Kiki

Photo by photography student Michaela

Photo by photography student Liliana

Photo by photography student Lily

Photo by photography student Marissa

I use the camera (purchased from contributions made to the Annual Fund) multiple times each day to capture the spirit and character of our community that is sometimes difficult to put into words. 



The new camera and lens allow me to visually represent the school to current and prospective parents to the best of my ability.  I greatly appreciate the resources that allowed me this opportunity.”

Emily Allen

Photo by photography student Kiki
If you have questions about the Annual Fund or ways and how to donate, please contact annualgiving@abintra.org.

Comments