Upper Elementary News 2/19 - Shakespeare, Mushrooms, and More!

Our newsletter this week is comprised of several article submissions from students:

"Much Ado About Nothing" - By Mallie (with help from Sidney)

The play Much Ado About Nothing was so much fun! As the stage manager, it was really nerve-racking because there was a lot of rushing, but when it came together, it was worth it. Kiki, who played Beatrice, said, “I loved everything. I really like acting. I have been in after-school theater with Christy, but this was my first performance.” Sidney, who played Oatcake, said, “I thought it was an extraordinary experience. I liked the costume that Reina helped create with me. I also liked practicing the play with friends. It was just exciting!” Dot, who played Don John, said, “I had a lot of fun. I really felt like I was my character. I felt the character was telling me she was British, so I spoke with an accent.”  Olivia said, “I loved making masks.” To conclude, most of the UE students enjoyed the play that we put on.  




Mushrooms - by Lily S.

On Wednesday, we had a visitor named David Wells. He owns a company called ‘Henosis’ that sells mushrooms. When we were with David, he told us lots of handy stuff about mushrooms, like that mushrooms form networks for trees to communicate and share nutrients, and how to grow them. After learning a little about mushrooms, we made our way down to a place behind the bee shed and planted wine cap mushrooms in some mulch. 




When we finished planting the wine cap mushrooms, we moved up to the Peace Garden where we tried some mushrooms that David cooked for us in the bee shed.


After we tried the mushrooms, we planted some shiitake spores in a log. David drilled holes in it, and then we filled them with spores. David will cover the holes with wax so they won’t dry out.

Photo by Lillie C.
Photo by Lillie C
We should have mushrooms to eat in about a year!

Photo by Lillie C.
Our Experience Under Our Desks - By Alexandra and Hayden

Hayden and I have standing desks. We get to stand up while working or reading. When we get tired of standing, we have a stool to sit on. But we also have another option; WORKING UNDER OUR DESKS! We get to roll out a rug under there, and start working where the sun isn’t in our eyes. The only bad part is getting stepped on when we’re not all the way under our desks, which happens a lot. Our desks are so high we don’t bump our heads, and it offers a large amount of shade. It allows our work a secret place where people do not stare at your work. Standing desks are amazing that way.

Comments