Alumni Spotlight - Marcelle Fischer

"Abintra influenced every part of who I am today."
 --Marcelle Fischer, Dance Instructor

Marcelle today
Marcelle graduated from Abintra in 2004 and spent her high school years at Currey Ingram Academy. She then attended Maryville College, where she studied Child Development and Learning, as well as American Sign Language. She returned to Currey Ingram to work as a teacher's assistant after graduating, and now works as the school's dance instructor.

When she's not teaching dance, you can find Marcelle enjoying one of her many hobbies including running, biking, hiking, photography, video editing, and painting. She recently spent time working on a Habitat for Humanity house build, and has also been busy planning her upcoming wedding this fall.

Abintra: How do you think your time at Abintra influenced you future experiences?
Marcelle at Abintra
Marcelle: Abintra influenced every part of who I am today. I am extremely aware of what kind of role model I am setting for my students. I learned how to respect other cultures and different types of people. I know how to work hard, for myself and not just for others. I learned what it means to care--about people, myself, and my environment.

Abintra: What is your favorite Abintra memory?
Marcelle: I have a plethora of amazing experiences from Abintra. One of my all time favorite memories was on a trip to Costa Rica. The entire trip was life changing. We went horseback riding, and it was almost sunset, and the horse was free to canter. It will be something I remember for the rest of my life. I also loved being outside and learning about outdoor survival. One time students were challenged to light a fire only using three matches. It was lightly raining which made the task that much more challenging. Now every time I make a fire, I try to do it using three matches or less.

Abintra: If you could give one piece of advice to a current Abintra student, what would it be?
Marcelle: Read more. Care more. Play outside. Be open minded. Be respectful. Be yourself.


Comments